Essex foster carer handbook
The Essex foster carer handbook provides information and guidance on every element of being a foster carer.
Children's guides to being in foster care
These guides provide information for children and young people about being in foster care. They also provide contact details for other people who can help.
Statement of purpose
The Statement of purpose outlines our aims and objectives; the way we recruit, approve, train and support foster carers; the diversity of our fostering service; staffing and management structure of the fostering service.
The Medication workbook sets out the medicines policy and practice guidelines on administering and recording medication to children in your care.
Leaving and after care finance handbook
This document outlines the financial protocols of Essex County Council’s Leaving and After Care Service.
Foster carer profile cards
These profile cards are for foster carers to complete and return to their SSW to be uploaded onto the foster carer record. These can then be used to help prepare children and young people who may be moving to a new placement. There are four profile cards, two for younger children and two for older children. Within each of those categories there is also one which may be more appropriate for single carers and one when there is more than one carer in the household. Use whichever one feels the most appropriate to your household.
- Profile (foster carers) – older children
- Profile (single carer) – older children
- Profile (foster carers) – younger children
- Profile (single carer) – younger children
Fostering policies, procedures and guidance
- Bedroom sharing policy - PDF, 189KB
- Bullying policy - PDF, 212KB
- Changes to fostering household policy - PDF, 342KB
- Children missing from home guidance - PDF, 426KB
- Complaints and representations guidance - PDF, 303KB
- Conflict of interest guidance - PDF, 189KB
- Equality and diversity policy - PDF, 335KB
- Essex Fostering Recruitment and Assessment Policy 2018 — PDF, 496KB
- Exemption to foster beyond usual foster limit policy - PDF, 289KB
- Foster care and firearms guidance - Doc, 117KB
- Health and safety guidance - Doc, 411KB
- Health and safety policy - Doc, 262KB
- Health policy - PDF, 262KB
- Household review guidance - PDF, 225KB
- Induction Policy and Guidance - Doc
- Overnight stays and holidays - Doc, 183KB
- Pets in fostering households policy - Doc, 231KB
- Promoting educational achievement - Doc, 306KB
- Promoting independence and moves to adulthood - PDF, 384KB
- Promoting positive behaviour - PDF, 332KB
- Records and record keeping policy - PDF, 433KB
- Respite foster care guidance and procedures - PDF, 639KB
- Safeguarding policy - PDF, 382KB
- Safer care in foster homes - PDF, 398KB
- Safer use of computer and internet - PDF, 351KB
- Smoking policy - PDF, 254KB
- Staying put policy - Doc, 2.48MB
- Supporting foster carers - PDF, 214KB
- Termination of a foster carer approval policy - PDF, 200KB
- Unannounced visits to foster carer policy - Doc, 116KB
If you find you are not able to read PDF documents, download the free Adobe Reader software.