All looked after children, including children adopted from care, are now able to participate in a range of musical opportunities for free.
A range of exciting musical opportunities, including tuition and instrument hire, will be available to all looked after children for free from next month.
Essex Music Services (part of Essex County Council) is the lead partner in Essex Music Education Hub, which is offering the free in-school and community music opportunities throughout 2017/18 as part of its on-going efforts to make music in Essex as inclusive as possible.
From April 2017, all looked after children (LAC), children subject to a special guardianship order (SGO), child arrangement order (CAO) or children adopted from care will be able to access the following opportunities completely free:
Musical tuition -
• 1 x 15min free vocal or instrumental tuition lesson per week (10 sessions per term) used with Essex Music Services tutors within Essex schools.
• 1 x free music school package used during the evenings or weekends at one of 14com munity music schools spread across the county (many music schools include theory and aural classes, ensembles and choirs, as well as instrumental and vocal tuition).
Instrument hire -
• Free hire of an instrument (covering a range of orchestral and electric instruments). These can be delivered to the young person’s school for free.
Progression routes into county ensembles and choirs –
• Free membership of county ensembles and choirs, and attendance at county ensemble and choir workshops, courses and tours. We run a variety of county ensembles and choirs catering for all abilities and experience levels.
To find out more, please visit essexmusichub.org.uk
What do you need to apply?
Schools, social workers or carers can all apply and will need the following:
Looked after children -
• Which Local Authority is the young person in the care of
• Name of the young person’s social worker and independent review officer
• School (if carer or social worker is applying)
Post-looked after children (adopted from care, special guardianships orders, child arrangement orders) –
• Evidence of the adoption certificate or SGO/CAO order (or confirmation from young person’s school that they have had sight for pupil premium purposes).
How to apply?
Applications can be made online at Essex Music Services.
One voucher covers all activities listed above.
In-school tuition must be applied through the young person’s school.
Information on joining community music schools can be found at the Essex Music Hub.